Rugby union round-up: Six in a row for high flying Hills

WHEATLEY Hills opened up a four point lead at the top of the North One East table when they beat Middlesbrough 36-12 at York Road on Saturday.

The win was the Doncaster side’s sixth in a row this season.

Middlesbrough scored an early try when they capitalised on some sloppy tackling from Wheatley Hills, but the hosts were soon into their stride.

Centre Ben Miller scored after six minutes and full back Jonny Woodcock added the conversion.

Winger Chris Blessed touched down in the corner and Woodcock added a penalty on the half hour to put Wheatley 15-7 ahead.

No 8 Gareth Burns scored near the posts on 39 minutes and Woodcock converted for a 22-7 half time lead.

Burns scored his second try on 48 minutes as Wheatley continued to dominate the scrums, and Woodcock added the conversion to put his side 29-7 ahead.

Miller’s second try came in the left corner on 60 minutes, Woodcock again converting.

Middlesbrough pulled back a second try with two minutes remaining but it was not enough to worry Wheatley Hills, who travel to second-placed Sheffield on Saturday.

Player coach Ryan Peacey touched down twice for DONCASTER PHOENIX but they ended up losing 16-19 to Bradford Salem at Castle Park.

Centre Craig Deakin kicked two first half penalties for the Phoenix.

WATH ON DEARNE maintained their promising start to the season but were held to a modest 16-13 margin on their visit to mid-table York.

After conceding an early penalty goal, Wath fought their way into the lead with a try by their captain and No 8 Matthew Burrows.

Full back Tom Quinn added the conversion with a superb kick from the touchline, but it was only Quinn’s goal kicking which kept the visitors in contention as they let York in for two late unconverted tries.

Quinn’s first penalty had put the visitors 10-3 ahead at half time and he landed two more after the turnround.

THORNENSIANS clinched a bonus point on their way to a well deserved but hard fought 29-23 win over Yorkshire Three rivals Northallerton at Coulman Road.

Thorne found themselves up against a strong Northallerton pack and had to work hard for their two first-half tries by No 8 Robert Moffat and full back Zack Holgate, the latter converted by Ricky Tipper.

Northallerton scored two tries and a penalty goal in the first half, and all four tries came in a hectic eight-minute period.

In contrast, the second half started with a period of stalemate as the forwards battled for supremacy, and there was no score until Northallerton landed a penalty goal 16 minutes after the turnround.

Within a minute Thorne flanker Ryan Pilley ran in a try to give Thorne a 17-16 lead.

But the game swung back in Northallerton’s favour at 23-17 when the visitors were awarded a penalty try which was converted.

However, a brace of tries by winger Brett Hunt in the 25th and 29th minutes, the first converted by Tipper, saw Thorne clinch the game.

ROSSINGTON HORNETS went down 19-13 to hosts Garforth in their latest Yorkshire Five clash.

Flanker Chris Jones touched down twice for Rossington but it was not quite enough for victory.

They will be aiming for better luck this Saturday when they go to Wensleydale in the Yorkshire Silver Trophy.

ADWICK LE STREET were on the wrong end of a 73-0 thumping by Rotherham Clifton in their latest Yorkshire Five clash.