Doncaster Dons prepare to say farewell to physio George
THE funeral of Dons stalwart Michael Geoghegan will take place tomorrow.
Former physio Geoghegan, better known as ‘George’, died on New Year’s Day aged 70 following a long battle with cancer.
His funeral will be held at St Leonard’s Church, Barnsley Road, Scawsby, tomorrow at 10.30am. The service will be followed by a wake at the Keepmoat Stadium. Doncaster born George, who played rugby league for Bentley ARLFC when the club first formed in 1963, became Dons physio after initially helping out Don Brooks and held the position for several years.
A genuine club man, the former Royal Navy servant also worked for the Dons’ lottery scheme for five years in the 1990s and performed many other roles for the club.
Dons chief executive Carl Hall said: “George was like a father to me since I first came to England to play rugby league at the age of 18.
“He looked after me very well and welcomed me into his family like I was one of his own and I will never forget what he has done for me.
“Nobody ever had a bad word to say about him.
“We were so privileged to have such a great man come into our lives and we will never forget his kindness. He was a true gent and a Dons legend.”
George leaves behind his wife Margaret and two sons Mark and David.
There will be a further service at the crematorium for family and close friends at 11.40am.
Following that service, a gathering will be held at the Keepmoat Stadium (East Stand entrance) to celebrate George’s life.
* Dons continue their pre-season preparations at home to Keighley Cougars on Sunday (3pm).
- Court: Coffee thief gets community order
- Wombwell man awarded B.E.M.
- Doncaster Rovers: Rochdale clash set for Capital One Cup first round
- Biggest ‘shake-up’ on the buses for 20 years
- Transfer rumours June 14: Doncaster Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Barnsley, Rotherham United, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for South Yorkshire
Tuesday 18 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 12 C to 23 C
Wind Speed: 9 mph
Wind direction: West