Wale joins ‘home of champions’

JOSH Wale has signed with top promoter Frank Maloney in an attempt to revive his somewhat stagnating career, writes Liam Hoden.

Not only has the move brought about two desperately needed bouts over the next three months, it also sees him welcomed into the company of champions he is gunning for.

He told the Times: “I can’t keep having massive gaps between my fights because I’m getting nowhere.

“I make an impression and people are talking about me, but then they don’t see me for so long and they forget.

“I’ve had time to heal because of cuts but I could have been cut from head to toe and I would’ve healed by now.

“This is the best move for me and I’m confident it’s going to pay off.”

Wale had been hoping to push for bouts with the likes of British champion Stuey Hall and Doncaster’s European and Commonwealth king Jamie McDonnell later this year.

But the lack of regular in-ring action which has plagued his young career has seen those two – who will meet at Doncaster Dome on September – move beyond his reach for the foreseeable future.

Wale has not fought since his ill-fated technical draw with English champion Craig Lyon in February and is determined to force his way into the upper echelons of the British bantamweight division sooner rather than later.

So he took the decision to part ways with Scottish manager Tommy Gilmour to explore other options.

The 23-year-old signed with Lincolnshire manager Carl Greaves and penned a deal with Maloney who also promotes McDonnell and Hall.

Wale said: “We had a very good meeting with Frank Maloney and it seemed to be the right move to make.

“He’s got the champions in my division so when I prove I’m worth a shot over the next year or so, he’ll be able to make the title fights happen.

“And he’s got the Sky TV deal as well.

“It just didn’t work out with Tommy Gilmour but we’ve parted on good terms.

“It was difficult with him being in Scotland and me being based four hours away.

“I’ve done what is best for me.”

Wale will return to the ring at Greaves’ July 10 show at Cleethorpes’ Beachcomber Resort against tough Bulgarian featherweight Stoyan Serbezov.

The 26-year-old has lost 17 of his 21 bouts but has only been stopped once.

Wale said: “It’ll be a good test for me because he won’t come to be walked over.

“I need a good workout.

“I thought the next time I’d be fighting would be a rematch with Lyon but his camp don’t seem up for it.”

He will then fight on the undercard of the three title showdown between Hall and McDonnell on September 3 before taking his place as an interested spectator for the main event.

He said: “I think Jamie will have too much for Hall and he’ll win.

“That’ll be it domestically for him then, he’ll be pushing on to world title level.

“He deserves it because he’s a class fighter.

“Hopefully one day we’ll be meeting in the ring at Oakwell or the Keepmoat for a world title.”