Being withdrawn from a final eliminator for a world title might seem like a bad thing – but it could turn out to be something very good indeed for Jamie McDonnell.
Promoter Eddie Hearn has promised exciting things in the immediate future of the Hatfield bantamweight.
McDonnell was pencilled in to face unbeaten American Randy Caballero on April 19 in an eliminator for the IBF title he was stripped of last year.
The IBF confirmed that fight is off due to a ‘legal impediment’ and McDonnell will not be considered for any bouts sanctioned by the organisation in the near future.
But Hearn – who has overseen the 27-year-old’s career since his bitter split from Sheffield promoter Dennis Hobson – says matters have turned out for the best.
“These are very exciting times again for Jamie McDonnell,” Hearn told the Star.
“Due to several factors the IBF route has been complicated so we’re leaving that.
“Another route has opened up and Jamie could be world champion again a lot quicker than if he’d gone the other way.
“He’ll still be fighting on April 19 in Manchester and it’s all very exciting for him.
“We’ll be announcing something either at the weekend or early next week and it’s going to be big for Jamie.”
First on Hearn’s mind is his latest show in Hull on Saturday which will see McDonnell’s twin brother Gavin make his Sky Sports debut, contesting the British super bantamweight title with Leigh Wood.
Hearn said: “I’m massively excited about that fight.
“It’s a genuine 50-50 fight and it’s such a big occasion for both lads.”