Elsecar earn derby bragging rights


Premier Division

Wath 184-8 Elsecar 185-3

ELSECAR sent Wath tumbling down the table with an impressive narrow win at Moor Road.

Just 20 runs were on the board by the time the first two Wath batsmen departed.

But a fine partnership between Archie Ogden and Andrew Wood helped calm the waters with a 58–run spell.

Ogden departed for 44 with Wood staying on until he reached 64 as Wath closed on 184-8 which always looked under threat

Luke Townsend excelled to take 4-38 while Sri Lankan bowler Chathura Athukorala claimed 3-42 before making a key contribution in the response.

Elsecar also lost an early wicket but opener Ainsley Swallow hit 34.

It was left to the silky skills of Brett Hunsley and Athukorala’s developing all-rounder chops to see Elsecar to the win.

Both Hunsley and Athukorala remained to the close unbeaten on 72 and 38 respectively as Elsecar passed the target on 42.4 overs with three wickets lost.

Houghton Main 220-6

Treeton 279-4

HOUGHTON Main were in good scoring form but failed to build on last week’s first win of the campaign against Treeton.

The visitors lost their openers with just 17 runs between them but this brought Danny Kemp to the fold.

He smashed 128no, supported firstly by Greg Norton with 62 off 39 balls in a 98 run partnership with Kemp before Umaid Asif took his turn with 36no.

Treeton posted an imposing 279-4 but, to their credit, Houghton refused to be overawed in their response, but could not meet the required run rate for victory.

Ashley Wickers and Syed Raza led the resistance with a stand of 109 for the third wicket, Vickers reaching 73 and Raza adding 65.

Houghton held on comfortably to 220-6 for a valuable bonus point.

Rockingham 95

Barnsley 2nd XI 96-4

ROCKINGHAM remain in the relegation zone after a hefty defeat by visiting Barnsley Seconds.

Three runs were on the board when the first two Rockingham wickets fell and the outlook only partially improved.

They reached 38-5 before a boost to 95 before they fell all out with skipper Mark Wilkinson top scoring on 27.

Youngster Perry Youel did the damage and took the final wicket for a reward of 3-9 while Michael Thompson waltzed through for a reward of 5-42.

Barnsley similarly struggled at first and stood at 4-2.

But another burgeoning young talent Benjamin O’Brien helped them move closer on 29 and they reached the target with 38 overs used and four wickets lost.