Late win for Wath

Ashley Rothery powers over to score
Ashley Rothery powers over to score

Joe Earp was the try-scoring hero for Wath as they grabbed a late, narrow victory over neigbours Barnsley at Shaw Lane.

Wath made the very short journey to Shaw Lane to play 13th-placed Barnsley, and came back with the points as Earp’s try, with just three minutes left, secured a 15-14 victory.

Wath started the game on the front foot, with scrum half Joe Bartlett enjoying the game’s first chance, but it was Barnsley who struck first when their winger touched down.

The conditions did not suit either side’s playing style, but both sides still did their best to stay true to their beliefs.

Wath cut the defecit to 7-5 just before the break; centre Steve Mason racing over in the corner.

Wath burst out of the blocks in the second half, and grabbed the lead when full back Quinn timed his pass perfectly and Ashley Rothery sprinted over the line to score.

Their lead was short-lived, however, as a series of penalties gave Barnsley territorial advantage and they took it, regaining their foothold in the game.

The final 20 minutes were dominated by Wath as they looked to get back the lead.

Lock Richard Hill began this period of domination with a turn over on half way, and a series of forward drives saw Barrass go close but he was forced into touch metres out.

In the ensuing play Barnsley infringed on three occasions and once again the six was caught offside and so shown another yellow card.

As the clock ticked down Barnsley continued to defend well, but it was Barrass who would set up the match winning move.

Faced with a wall of defenders in front of him, he sent a superbly weighted kick into the 22, the chase from Barrass and Pickets was superb and Wath earned a penalty for holding on.

Burrows chose the line out option and the ball was won cleanly. The pack surged forwards and Earp was shoved over the try line to grab the win by the narrowest of margins.

This weekend, Wath host Bridlington.