Saints march into final

editorial image

Charles Rice Junior Football League

WATH St James Under 18s bid for honours continued as they survived a second half fight back by opponents Ryecroft to reach the League Cup final.

The Saints are looking to add to their second place finish in the Premier League with a piece of silverware and moved 90 minutes away from that feat with a narrow 3-2 win.

Wath took the lead after just 30 seconds as they caught Ryecroft napping from the kick off.

Alex Rowe sent a long throw to the back post where Jack Waldron rose to nod home.

Ryecroft settled well with Saints stopper Chris Jones called on to produce a couple of good saves.

Rowe’s long throws continued to cause havoc for Ryecroft and it took an amazing stop from their keeper to deny Joe Formby a goal when he turned Josh Bartle’s knock down on target.

But there was little the keeper could do when Kyle Kitchen latched onto a lose ball, charged forward and drilled home Wath’s second.

Sam Booker drew the best from the Ryecroft keeper again when he watched his spectacular volley turned around the post.

Substitute Liam Hadfield almost sent Wath into the break with a 3-0 advantage when he darted past his marker only to send his side-footed effort narrowly wide.

Ryecroft pushed hard for a way back into the contest in the second half and were rewarded by drawing level in consecutive attacks 20 minutes in.

A defensive error allowed the attacker in to scuff the ball over the line for Ryecroft’s first before a superb break down the left saw a well placed effort pulling them level.

long throws proved a thorn in Ryecroft’s side but the hosts got out of jail when one appeared to strike the arm of a defender only for the referee to wave play on.

Wath grew in determination and were rewarded when Niall Cairns played through Luke Theaker who shook off his man and cooly finished low to send the Saints marching into the final.

Doncaster and District Junior Sunday League

MEXBOROUGH Rangers Under 13s remain on course for a top half finish in the Premier Division after a 5-0 derby day triumph over local rivals Mexborough Rovers.

Jamie Organ scored twice with Callum Wright, Joe Coldron and Lewis Pickering also on target.

Conyers U13s ensured the destiny of the Division One title remained in their hands with a 3-0 win over Bessacarr FC.

Goals from Tyler Hardy, Asa Blake and Michael Pearce handed Conyers the win which leaves them three points off leaders Barnburgh and Harlington with two games left to play.

Barnburgh have completed their programme of fixtures meaning four points from the final two matches would hand Conyers the title.

Mexborough Rovers Under 11s suffered a 3-0 defeat to Premier Division rivals Edenthorpe Juniors.

Conyers U11s lost 6-2 to champions Scawthorpe Scorpions despite the goals of Joshua and Curtis Allen.

Mexborough Rangers Under 15s battled out an entertaining 1-1 draw with South Kirkby Juniors.

Ashley Emmerson netted for Rangers with Kane Thornton firing back for South Kirkby.

An Aaron Corley goal could not save South Kirkby Juniors Under 16s from a 3-1 home defeat at the hands of Armthorpe Rovers in the Premier Division.

Conisbrough and Denaby Juniors Under 17s battled out a thrilling 4-4 stalemate with Rossington Main in the Premier Division.

Jamie Hall, Ashley Ager, Luke Vickers and Daniel Whittaker were all on target.