Rotherham United: Summer satisfaction for Millers boss

Steve Evans
Steve Evans

Millers boss Steve Evans surveyed his summer signing spree and declared: “I’m happy with the business we’ve done.”

The Rotherham United manager has brought in 11 new players as the club prepare for life in the Championship.

And the man who has masterminded back-to-back promotions insists that was the right thing to do.

“People keep going on about the fact we’ve signed 11 players but what they have to remember is how many we had in our squad once we’d factored in the those we were allowing to move on,” he said,

“We had 12 players. We weren’t Sheffield United with 21 or so.”

More arrivals are likely before the Millers kick off the new season at Derby County.

Evans added: We hope to have maybe a couple more players coming in.

“The majority of our recruitment is done now. The squad is not complete yet, but there is not a lot more to do.”

He has already said the club have made a record offer for a young striker, and has confirmed that the club did bid for Swindon Town’s Australian international midfielder, Massimo Luongo.

The new boys have spent the last week in Scotland bonding with the players left from last season. Rotherham have two more matches, against Falkirk tonight and Queen of the South tomorrow, before wrapping up their tour and heading back for the pre-season friendly against Nottingham Forest at New York Stadium on Wednesday, kick-off 7.30pm.

Meanwhile, Millers old boy Michael O’Connor, who played a friendly for Port Vale last week, is unlikely to move to Vale Park permanently because the club can’t offer enough in wages.

Rotherham’s Wednesday-night match at Fulham on April 15 will now kick off at 8pm, not 7.45pm as originally scheduled.