Rotherham United hope to have at least two more signings in place before they return for pre-season training.
The players are due back later this week, and Millers assistant boss Paul Raynor has revealed more transfer business is imminent.
“We’re waiting on a couple of calls,” he said at the end of last week. “We’re confident that at the beginning of next week we’ll have a couple more through the door at least.”
Rotherham have spent weeks laying the groundwork for more new arrivals, with Raynor explaining that the impending return of their Championship squad is the catalyst for proceedings to start moving more quickly.
“We’re always looking and talking to agents,” he said.
“It is a hectic time and, with us starting training, talks are coming to their conclusions.
“Players are anxious to get back in and get fixed up and get sorted. They’re not listening to agents who are telling them they’re going to sign here and sign there.
“It’s come to the crunch now and decisions have to be made.”
Former Sheffield Wednesday right-back Lewis Buxton joined the club last week, becoming the third summer arrival at AESSEAL New York Stadium after fellow ex-Owl Joe Mattock and one-time Leeds United ace Aidy White.
Buxton spoke to Mattock before committing himself to the Millers and said: “Joe had a lot of positive things to say about the manager and the atmosphere here.”
The 31-year-old is no stranger to New York, having been on the bench for Wednesday in the derby clash at the stadium last March.
“There was a lot of noise from the fans,” he recalled. “You always want to be in that kind of atmosphere. Even though I didn’t play, I enjoyed it.”
Buxton had injury problems last season but recovered to play six games in Wednesday’s run-in in April and early May.
“The aim next year is to have a positive season,” he said. “I finished strongly last season so I’m looking to push on.
“I got back in the team towards the back end of the season and got over any problems I had, so that was a positive for me.”
Rotherham’s match at Nottingham Forest will go ahead, as planned, on Saturday August 15.
Notts County were due to be at home on the same day but their match against Mansfield Town has been brought forward to Friday August 14 on police instructions.
The fixture clash was caused by an England v Australia Ashes Test starting at Nottingham’s Trent Bridge on August 6.
That meant away starts to the season for both of the city’s football clubs, and that had the knock-on effect of both sides then being at home the following week.