MATCH REPORT: Gainsborough Trinity 4 Doncaster Rovers 0

Rovers trialist: Ex-Scunthorpe and Sheffield Wednesday defender Eddie Nolan
Rovers trialist: Ex-Scunthorpe and Sheffield Wednesday defender Eddie Nolan

A MAKESHIFT Doncaster Rovers side crashed to their biggest pre-season defeat, 4-0 in last night’s game at Gainsborough Trinity.

As he hinted he would do after Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Barnsley, Rovers boss Dean Saunders rang the changes with only trialist James Harper retaining his place in the starting line-up.

Midfielder Paul Keegan, who missed the Barnsley game for personal reasons, returned to the side.

Former Preston defender Eddie Nolan and Ipswich right-back Callum Bennett were both on trial.

The home side made a lively start and a trialist striker Richard Paquett headed home in fine style from Dominic Roma’s right-wing cross on five minutes.

The Blue Square Bet North side doubled their lead on 16 minutes.

Paquett just failed to get on the end of Ryan Williams’ cross from wide out on the right, but Paul Connor was on hand to beat Maxted from close range at the far post to make it 2-0.

The home side, who included former Rovers’ winger Craig Nelthorpe, continued to make the running.

Rovers continued to look like the team of strangers they were and rarely troubled the Trinity keeper.

Striker Robbie Blake just cleared the crossbar from a 30 -yard free-kick on 24 minutes.

Trialist Amari Morgan-Smith won Rovers their first corner a minute later from which fellow trialist Karl Hawley had a goalbound shot blocked by a defender.

Blake showed some nice touches on the ball and chipped the home defence to find Hawley at the left-hand post whose shot was saved by keeper White at the expense of a corner.

Trinity, who were defending an unbeaten record in pre-season, threatened again after 40 minutes, Paquett shooting wide from the edge of the area after a good run and lay-off by Connor.

Rovers started the second half brightly but it was the home side who went closest to an early goal - Paquett hitting the outside of the near post.

Blake again just cleared the bar direct from a long-range free-kick.

Saunders brought on Senegal trialists Diame and Gomis, who both played in the Youth team’s win at Denaby on Monday.

The home side increased their lead on 70 minutes, Shane Clarke hammering home Jamie Yeates’ cross.

Blake put the ball into the net only to be ruled offside, before Clarke made it 4-0 with a superb 25 yard strike by seconds later.

Trinity brought on former Rovers’ keeper Jan Budtz, one of the heroes of the the club’s run to the quarter-final of the League Cup in the 2005-06 season.

But the Danish shot-stopper had little to do during his time on the field.

The final whistle will have come as a relief to Rovers fans in the crowd.

Rovers: Maxted, Finnegan, Nelson, Josh, Bennett, Harper, McCormick, Keegan,Morgan-Smith, Blake, Hawley. Subs: Mullen (46), Middleton (46), Binns (46), Ball (60) Diame (60) Gomis (60).