EURO 2012: Steven Gerrard misery at England penalty pain
England captain Steven Gerrard last night admitted it was tough to take after a “heartbreaking” exit from Euro 2012 following a penalty shoot-out defeat against Italy.
England were beaten 4-2 on spot-kicks after their quarter-final clash in Kiev had finished goalless after extra-time.
Ashley Young and Ashley Cole missed for England
This was the latest in a long line of penalty shoot-out exits from major tournaments, following on from 1990, 1996, 1998, 2004 and 2006.
While Gerrard praised his teammates for their showing in Poland and Ukraine, he conceded it was a painful way to go out.
“Everyone’s been great in training, every time we’ve come out I think we’ve done the country proud, but again we’re going home with heartbreak, which is difficult to take,” he said.
The Liverpool midfielder added “I just feel for the players who from day one have given everything and today we did the same.”
- Damning reports slams Lindholme Prison as one of worst in country
- Doncaster firm lands Sheffield tram contract
- Court: Coffee thief gets community order
- Doncaster Rovers: Rochdale clash set for Capital One Cup first round
- Transfer rumours June 14: Doncaster Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Barnsley, Rotherham United, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for South Yorkshire
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 11 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West