Football: Denaby beaten by high fliers; Frickley exit FA Cup; Parkgate defeated

Frickley's Gavin Allott
Frickley's Gavin Allott

Denaby Main fell off the pace at the top of Division Two in the County Senior League after a 1-0 defeat to fellow highflyers Maltby Main Reserves.

Main drew against local rivals Denaby United last weekend in an entertaining draw, and followed that result up with a thrilling 6-4 win over Bawtry in midweek as they continued their impressive County Senior league debut season.

However they came unstuck this weekend in a close encounter against Maltby at Muglet Lane which leaves Maltby joint top, two ahead of Main.

They are next in action a week on Saturday when they will host Treeton, who sit bottom of the division after five games without a win so far.

Frickley Athletic fell out of the FA Cup in the first round of qualifying after a disappointing 2-1 reverse away at Farsley last weekend.

After the heavy defeat at Buxton last Tuesday Karl Rose shuffled the pack with Jack Wakefield and Luke Jeffs coming into midfield, Danny South filling in for the injured Jameel Ible with Ryan Williams partnering Gavin Allott up front.

The game got off to a slow start from Frickley’s point of view as they never really got going, and with 20 minutes on the clock it was Farsley’s Lewis Nightingale looking threatening down the right hand side.

It was Nightingale who swung in a free kick that the Blues defence couldn’t deal with which led to Danny South diverting the ball into his own net on 32 minutes.

Shortly after it was Nightingale again who provided the spark with his second assist of the day, finding Robbie O’Brien in space who didn’t need a second invitation, lobbing Ben Simpson to make it two.

The Blues came out for the second half unchanged and posed little threat to the home side who in truth could have had more.

Substitute Marcus Edwards was later guilty of a glaring miss after he failed to convert a chance from 5 yards out.

The Blues gave themselves a glimmer of hope in injury time when Allott converted from 6 yards from sub Joel Barnett’s pull back, but it was too little too late in the end as and the home side deservedly progressed into the next round.

The Blues returned to league action and were looking to bounce back on Tuesday night, when they hosted FC United of Manchester.

Parkgate also fell to defeat last weekend, coming out on the wrong end of a 3-0 scoreline when they hosted Worksop, leaving them mid-table.