Football: Blues take the points from ‘must-win’ game

editorial image

Frickley came from behind to claim three points in their must-win game against Barwell, at Westfield Lane.

Manager Karl Rose had labelled this encounter a “crucial six-pointer” and it was his side who prevailed, thanks to late goals from Sam Denton and Luke Hinsley. The visitors had looked the more threatening of the two sides for much of the first half and went close in only the third minute when a long clearance from Liam Castle found its way through to Stuart Hendrie on the edge of the box.

His snapshot, however, went wide of Ben Simpson’s right hand post.

Gavin Allott had Frickley’s best chance of the half on 33 minutes when Fernando Moke sent him clear of Matt Preston.

Preston, however, did well to get back and win a last ditch tackle just as Allott shaped to shoot.

Barwell took the lead in the 42nd minute when Tony Capaldi’s long throw in was flicked on and Andy Villermann missed his kick as he attempted to clear at the back post, allowing Luke Barlone to steal in and score.

The Blues levelled the scores after 75 minutes, when Jimmy Ghiachem sent over a free-kick from which Denton rose to guide a header past Liam Castle from six yards.

And 11 minutes later, Frickley snatched what turned out to be the winner.

Allott and Ghaichem combined down the left for Hinsley to send in a low first time shot from 15 yards.

Castle got a hand to it but could only watch as the ball hit Connor Gudger and found its way into the net.

n Frickley Athletic: Simpson, Amdal, Villermann, Picton, Denton, Jeffs, Moke (Osborne, 89), Wilcox, Hinsley, Allott, Ghaichem. Unused subs: Gardner, Kenny, Kerr, Woodhead.

n Two fellow Evo-Stik Premier Division clubs, Whitby Town and FC United of Manchester, have come to the aid of Frickley Athletic following their recent clubhouse break-in.

Town have produced a number of Frickley-badged mugs and mobile phone cases that they have donated for sale at Frickley’s home game against Barwell on Saturday.

FC United have donated a television, to replace the one stolen during the break-in.

“The club are extremely grateful for this help and offer our sincere thanks to the people involved at both clubs,” a Frickley spokesperson said.