FA CUP: Blues just two wins from first round proper

Frickley Athletic are now just 180 minutes from the first round proper of the FA Cup after seeing off higher placed Harrogate Town in Tuesday night’s replay.

Stuart Ludlam scored an injury time winner as the Blues came from behind to win 2-1 at Harrogate.

The Blues lined up with Grant Darley starting in midfield in place of the injured Alex Callery in an otherwise unchanged starting eleven.

Jack Watts came onto the subs bench having served his three-match suspension.

In a tense first half chances were at a premium, although the Blues nearly drew first blood after just six minutes when James Ashmore’s free-kick was put just past his own post by Liam Darville.

However, the hosts enjoyed more possession then they had in the first match of at the Tech5 Stadium and forced Adam Billard into an fine save after 26 minutes as he dived to his right to punch away a shot from Will Turl.

Peter Bore had the last chance of the half when his 20 yard shot flew just wide.

The second half opened up more with the home side taking the lead on 54 minutes.

A rare error from David Cyrus let in Ian Ross who cut the ball across the face of goal for Lee Elam to score at the far post.

The Blues responded with Ashmore’s free-kick being headed over the bar by Ludlam from six yards three minutes later and on 64 minutes Brad Grayson found space on the right of the box but his shot from a tight angle cleared the bar.

Ashmore had an 18 yard shot well held by Zac Jones on 70 minutes before a looping cross from Cyrus found Ashmore but his angled shot was deflected narrowly over the bar.

The resulting corner was headed into his own goal by Turl following pressure from Grayson.

The Blues were forcing the pace and came close to snatching a winner in the 88th minute but Grayson’s close range shot following a corner was saved on the line by Jones.

The Blues were not to be denied and, as the game entered the second minute of stoppage time Ashmore sent a corner over from the left which saw Ludlam rise to power a header into the roof of the net.

Harrogate were immediately reduced to ten men as Elam saw red for pushing the referee and seconds later Stephen Turnbull was also sent off for a second yellow card following a foul on Leon Henry.

The Blues now face Gainsborough Trinity in the 3rd Qualifying Round on Saturday 15th October at the Northolme, kick off 3pm.