McCombe to join Doncaster Rovers
DEAN Saunders is set to further ease his defensive crisis this weekend with the signing of centre back Jamie McCombe from Huddersfield Town, the Free Press understands.
The 29-year-old looks set to become the club’s sixth summer signing after undergoing a medical at Rovers on Friday.
McCombe joined the Terriers in January 2010 and went on to make 68 appearances.
He spent two months on loan with Preston North End last season but returned in January to become a regular starter as Town pushed for promotion.
McCombe’s arrival will provide a significant boost to the weakest area of Saunders’ squad in terms of personnel.
Fellow recent signing Rob Jones was Rovers’ only fit recognised senior centre half prior to McCombe’s arrival.
Shelton Martis faces an indefinite spell on the sidelines which has left Tommy Spurr called upon to play out of position in central defence.
Should McCombe and Jones line up together in central defence, they will be one of the tallest pairings in the league at 6ft5 and 6ft7 respectively.
McCombe’s deal must be confirmed by noon on Saturday if he is to play any part in Rovers’ Capital One Cup game with York City.
Saunders has said he will also sign a striker in the next few days.
- Damning reports slams Lindholme Prison as one of worst in country
- Court: Coffee thief gets community order
- Doncaster Rovers: Rochdale clash set for Capital One Cup first round
- Transfer rumours June 14: Doncaster Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Barnsley, Rotherham United, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City
- Biggest ‘shake-up’ on the buses for 20 years
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for South Yorkshire
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 23 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 11 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: East