Doncaster Rovers: Not a Duff move yet

Rovers have had an initial bid for Scunthorpe winger Mark Duffy rejected.

Rovers have had an initial bid for Scunthorpe winger Mark Duffy rejected.

2
Have your say

Rovers are set to test the resolve of cash-strapped Scunthorpe United after seeing an initial bid for winger Mark Duffy turned down.

Iron boss Brian Laws made public that a written bid from Rovers had been received and revealed it failed to meet the valuation Scunthorpe have for the 27-year-old.

Paul Dickov is unlikely to let the matter lie just yet but Rovers are not in a position to be held to ransom by their rivals along the M180.

Former Sheffield Wednesday boss Laws has hinted previously that Duffy may have to leave this summer in order to give him leeway in the transfer market.

But he came out fighting yesterday to insist his star man will not be leaving the League Two club on the cheap.

“We’ve received an offer from Doncaster which was well under the valuation which we are expecting,” Laws said.

“We’re not in a position where we’re going to allow players to leave for nothing.

“We’ve paid money for him and we at least expect that back.

“No doubt about it, he had his best year since he’s been at the football club last season.

“He’s improved while he’s been there.

“And if someone improves you expect to get better money back.

“Doncaster’s valuation was way below ours.”

Duffy was second behind Rovers winger David Cotterill in the League One assists table last season.

The former Morecambe man was particularly impressive when netting against Rovers in Iron’s 3-2 defeat at Glanford Park last season.

Scunthorpe took up the option of another year on Duffy’s deal at the end of last season but reportedly understood it was unlikely he would play for the club again.

It seems likely Duffy will start next season outside of League Two with Barnsley, Sheffield United and MK Dons all said to be interested.

The initial set back was a blow to Dickov’s attempts to bring in players before his squad returns to training on Monday.

Dickov is keen for the majority of next season’s squad to take part in as much of pre-season as possible.

He will be expecting answers from the nine out-of-contract players over the next couple of days.

It appears positive signs are emerging in Rovers’ ambitious quest to secure a loan deal for Manchester City striker John Guidetti.

Dickov was hoping to use his strong links with the City set-up to secure an eye-catching move for Swede who netted 20 goals in 23 games while on loan with Feyenoord two season’s ago.

It appeared that Sunderland had moved into pole position to sign the 21-year-old after his agent Roberto De Fanti took up the director of football role with the Black Cats.

However, City are said to be reluctant about allowing the highly-rated youngster join one of their Premier League rivals.

Guidetti has not played a senior game in 14 months due to a combination of injury and serious illness.

He returned to City’s elite development squad late last season but the club are eager to see him in senior action – as they contemplate his future at Eastlands.