Doncaster Belles: Sweetman-Kirk capture delights Staniforth

Courtney Sweetman-Kirk. Photo by Clint Hughes - The FA via Getty Images
Courtney Sweetman-Kirk. Photo by Clint Hughes - The FA via Getty Images

Gordon Staniforth has spoken of his delight after landing international striker Courtney Sweetman-Kirk.

As reported in this week’s Free Press, the highly-rated England U23 forward had been training with the Belles and it was hoped a move away from Notts County would be sewn up ahead of Doncaster’s league trip to Millwall Lionesses on Sunday.

And 23-year-old Sweetman-Kirk, who said on her Twitter page today that she had left County “by mutual consent”, was officially unveiled as a Belles player this evening.

On the capture, Staniforth told the Free Press: “We’re delighted with this signing.

“Courtney is a quality striker. She’s had a glowing reference from County despite not getting into their first team as often as she would’ve liked.

“She’s quick, not afraid to take players on and she can finish off the chances we create.”

The former Coventry City striker has had limited first-team chances at County since moving from the Sky Blues last year where she was the club’s top scorer.

It is hoped that the World University Games gold medallist will provide strong competition for the table-topping Belles’ frontline.

She is also expected to provide ample cover for Doncaster striker Jess Sigsworth who is likely to be heading to Canada in August for England U20 World Cup duty.