Yobs’ bin blaze at Wath Festival

0
Have your say

LAST weekend’s annual Wath Festival was marred when stupid arsonists torched a portable toilet, causing damage to part of the town’s War Memorial.

Yobs set the plastic loo alight at about 2am on Saturday morning, just hours after folk singer Ray Hearn had performed at nearby Montgomery Hall to launch the three-day festival.

The flames spread to a wall surrounding the memorial – which is close to the parish church – causing extensive burns along the stonework.

A crew from Dearne Fire Station attended and spent about 20 minutes putting out the fire.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze had been started deliberately.

Wath councillor Alan Atkin said the incident marred what is usually a fun-filled event, attended by hoardes of visitors.

He said: “This was an act of mindless vandalism. The festival is a great event, enjoyed by tens of thousands of people who come along every year.

“It is so disappointing when something like this happens.

“It is a good job it happened late on, instead of the middle of the day when there would have been a lot of people in that part of the town.”

He added: “I doubt very much that they intended to set fire to the War Memorial as well, but some damage was done to the wall.

“This will need some repair work doing, and will come at some cost at a time of financial difficulty for councils.”