VIDEO: Owner of fire damaged store reassures customers ‘we’ll get everything sorted as soon as possible’

The owner of a Doncaster furniture store damaged by a ‘severe’ fire has reassured customers that he will be open again as soon as possible, and said he is glad nobody was hurt.

Around 200 people had to be evacuated from stores on a Doncaster industrial estate this morning after a ‘severe’ blaze started in Goodnight Sleeptight, Woodfield Way.

Firefighters were called out to a fire at Goodnight Sleeptight, Woodfield Way, Doncaster on May 26.

Firefighters were called out to a fire at Goodnight Sleeptight, Woodfield Way, Doncaster on May 26.

In a video taken by a witness an alarm can be heard going off and firefighters can be seen outside the shop while thick black smoke is coming from the door.

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “We were called at 9.40am because of smoke coming from the Goodnight Sleeptight building, which is on an industrial estate.

“We sent three fire engines, one from Edlington and two from Doncaster. They used a hose reel and put the fire out by 10.20am.

“It was quite a severe fire, about 200 people had to be evacuated from other shops on the estate, including a Tesco, a florist and a charity shop.

“Firefighters using breathing apparatus went in to the store and put the fire out using foam. Nobody was hurt and all persons were accounted for.

“The cause of the fire was accidental and was caused by an electrical fault. I believe there was a display in store and whatever they were using to light it had caused the fire.

“It was only a couple of members of staff in the store at the time, I don’t think it was yet open to the public.

“Crews remained at the scene for quite a while afterwards ventilating the surrounding shops and came away at 11.45am. I don’t think Tesco had to be ventilated.

“The firefighters did a good job stopping the fire from spreading, it could have easily spread.”

An eye-witness said: “We were just arriving to do our weekly shop at Tesco at around 9.50am when we saw the smoke.

“The crews arrived and evacuated the supermarket. We left after about 20 minutes to go to a different store, though we went back later and the staff said they were outside about an hour.”

The owner of the store, Howard Keeling, said: “We are very upset. The store is fire damaged and water damaged and I have lost all my stock and the fixtures and fittings are ruined, but our intention to be up and trading as soon as is possible.

“We have got a very big hill in front of us that we have to get over, it’s not a small task but it’s not one that’s going to get in our way.

“The firefighters were able to get our paperwork out so we have all customers details for current orders. We will work with our Leeds store to get all orders out as soon as possible.

“We are working with our insurance company to get everything sorted as soon as possible. The main thing is nobody was hurt, stock is tangible and people are the most important thing.

“This is something that could have happened anywhere at any time, unfortunately, it happened to us. Please contact our Leeds store with enquires on 01132179512 from 10am tomorrow morning.”