Top talks held over future of Conisbrough accident black spot

Floral tributes left on Sheffield Road, on the A630 at Conisbrough. Picture: Marie Caley 18-11-14 Conisbrough Tributes MC 9

Floral tributes left on Sheffield Road, on the A630 at Conisbrough. Picture: Marie Caley 18-11-14 Conisbrough Tributes MC 9

0
Have your say

Talks have been held to discuss the safety of a stretch of road in Conisbrough that has claimed the lives of eight teens, after thousands of readers joined a South Yorkshire Times campaign calling for action.

After five teenagers died in November in a crash on the notorious A630 in Conisbrough mere metres from a collision that led to the deaths of three teens in 2011; we asked you, our readers, to support our campaign to introduce more safety measures on the accident blackspot.

We teamed up with our sister title, The Doncaster Free Press, to launch the campaign last month.

And since then, over 2,100 readers have pledged their support for the campaign both online and through the post.

Representatives from Doncaster council, the South Yorkshire Safer Roads Partnership and South Yorkshire Police have now also met to discuss a course of action as a result of the campaign.

Speaking to South Yorkshire Times, Director of Regeneration and Environment, Peter Dale, said: “Until the circumstances of November’s incident are clear, and our review can be completed with all the information required, no further action can be taken.”

He continued: “We have said that we will take whatever action is necessary on the road, but we cannot do that until we have all the facts.”

An inquest into the deaths of Arpad Kore and Bartosz Bortniczak, both 18, and 16-year-olds Blake Cairns, Jordanna Goodwin and Megan Storey, who all died as a result of a crash in Sheffield Road on November 15, is due to be held at Doncaster Coroners Court in April.

Commenting on the accident blackspot, Chief Superintendent Rachel Barber, who is chair of the South Yorkshire Safer Roads Partnership, said: “South Yorkshire Police support the approach which the Council is taking to enable us to complete a full and thorough investigation into the circumstances of this tragic collision, without prejudicing any of the potential outcomes.

“We shall endeavour to do this as quickly as possible and present our findings to the Coroner in due course.”

Our safety bid has already received the support of national road safety charity, Brake, Don Valley MP, Caroline Flint, and thousands of readers. But we are still urging anyone, who has not already done so, to support the A630 Safety Drive campaign, calling on Doncaster council to carry out safety improvements on Sheffield Road, Conisbrough before it claims the lives of anyone else.

Chris Burton, Group Editor for South Yorkshire Newspapers commented: “The crash that led to the deaths of five teenagers in November was incredibly tragic.

“No-one wants to see anything like that happen again, which is why we need you to support us in our bid to get more safety measures introduced on the A630 in Conisbrough.”

Arpad, Bartosz, Blake, Jordanna and Megan were travelling in a Blue Toyota Corolla when it was involved with a grey Seat Leon. Officers believe a third vehicle, a black Vauxhall Corsa, may also have been involved in the collision which occurred at approximately 9.40pm on November 15.

A 21-year-old man, who police believe was driving the Corsa, has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

He has been released on bail pending further enquiries.

The man driving the Seat suffered a broken leg.