South Yorkshire fire chiefs issue warning over use of bio-ethanol burners

editorial image

Fire chiefs in South Yorkshire have issued a safety warning about bio-ethanol burners after a house fire.

Crews called out to a blaze on Watson Road, Kimberworth Park, last Thursday believe that fuel from an ethanol burner spat onto a wooden floor causing a small fire which then spread to a rug.

A woman in the house at the time of the blaze suffered burns to both hands after trying to tackle the fire herself and was taken to hospital by ambulance for treatment for her injuries.

South Yorkshire Fire Service’s Head of Community Safety, Kevin Ronan, said: “This is the first fire I can think of in South Yorkshire that’s been caused by a bio-ethanol burner. “Although the fire itself was small, the person needed hospital treatment and we are aware of more serious fires elsewhere in the country.

“Really, our advice is the same as for anything else where there is a naked flame - never leave them on unattended and keep them well away from anything which could catch fire.”

Bio-ethanol burners are a decorative heat source which come in a range of different sizes and can be used both indoors and outdoors.

Visit www.syfire.gov.uk for more home safety advice.