OAP rescued from kitchen fire

0
Have your say

A WOMAN aged in her nineties was rescued from her bungalow by firefighters in Barnsley after a blaze broke out in her kitchen.

Fire crews were called to Lynton Place in Darton and discovered the pensioner, 94, sitting in her lounge.

Three firefighters wearing breathing apparatus carried the woman outside and extinguished the fire, which is believed to have taken hold after a pan was left on her cooker hob.

Phil O’Connell, watch manager at Barnsley fire station, said: “The lady was conscious but she wasn’t able to move on her own, so thankfully we were on the scene quickly to rescue her.”

He said the lady would have been unable to escape had they not helped her.

“The room was quickly filling with smoke and she wouldn’t have been able to get out by herself,” he added.

The woman was taken to hospital by ambulance to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire caused damage to the cooker and kitchen after it broke out at around 9.30am on yesterday morning.