Mascots meet England football legends
A TRIO of football mascots helped to put Armthorpe on the map in a glittering England match at Wembley Stadium.
Youngsters Ethan McGhee, nine, and Alex Pepper, 10, who both hail from the village, rubbed shoulders with star footballers including Wayne Rooney, Steven Gerrard and Joe Hart ahead of last Wednesday’s 2-1 win against Brazil.
And completing the hat-trick was Doncaster Rovers mascot Donny Dog, who is ‘kennelled’ in Armthorpe - but switched to a cat to become England lion mascot Paws for the game.
Alex, of Barton Lane, who plays for Barnby Dun Under 11s, and Ethan, of Poplar Place, who turns out for Moorend Stingers U9s, were each selected as player escorts for the prestigious fixture, screened to millions around the globe.
The pair were accompanied by their families for the game, following in the footsteps of Armthorpe-born football legend Kevin Keegan who both skippered and managed England during his career.
- Damning reports slams Lindholme Prison as one of worst in country
- Court: Coffee thief gets community order
- Doncaster Rovers: Rochdale clash set for Capital One Cup first round
- Transfer rumours June 14: Doncaster Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Barnsley, Rotherham United, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City
- Biggest ‘shake-up’ on the buses for 20 years
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for South Yorkshire
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 23 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 11 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: East