Man lights a fag and sparks major house fire

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.
South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.

TWO men who lit a fag while filling up lighter fuel, sparked a major blaze that put lives at risk in Goldthorpe.

The kitchen of a terraced house on Kelly Street went up in flames as the fire caught hold, with a woman and young child also inside.

All the occupants managed to get out safely from the Monday lunchtime blaze, although one of the two men in their early twenties suffered smoke inhalation and a minor burn.

The community rallied round to give the family provisions, including bedding, to help them after they were forced to find new accommodation.

A spokeswoman from the Salvation Army at Goldthorpe said: “It was a nasty incident and everyone was keen to do what they could to help the family involved. I understand they were put up somewhere quite quickly.”

A fire spokesman said the kitchen suffered significant damage after a man accidentally ignited a cloud of lighter fluid vapour.

The blaze, that was tackled by four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, also caused damage to the stairs, with smoke and fire damage to the first floor.

Firefighters evacuated several neighbouring properties, some of which had been affected by smoke, while they checked the fire hadn’t spread.

Station Manager Andy Cloke said: “The men did not realise that a cloud of gas from the lighter fluid had formed in the kitchen, and this ignited when one of them tried to use his cigarette lighter.

“They are both very fortunate to have escaped as this was an intense fire which caused damage throughout the house.”

Fire crews who attended the incident were from Rotherham and Dearne stations.