An arson attack on a Conisbrough animal charity shop could have ended in disaster
Shocked volunteers at the Doris Banham Dog Rescue shop on Church Street arrived at work on Tuesday to discover a box of lampshades ablaze at the rear of the property.
Irene Morton said: ”If it had spread onto the roof it would have set the whole block on fire. I don’t know why anyone would want to do such a thing.”
The fire, which was discovered at 8.30am melted pipes and left the property smokelogged.
The other shops on the block include a wool shop and a second hand shop. Volunteers at the shop managed to douse the flames.
Irene added: “It smells like whoever did it has used petrol or something to get it started.”