DCSIMG

Tree planting marks upgrade of town rectory

Chairman of Epworth Parish Council Don Stewart plants the Mulberry Tree at the Old Rectory in Epworth. (Buy this photo E1366TS) Picture: Tony Saxton

Chairman of Epworth Parish Council Don Stewart plants the Mulberry Tree at the Old Rectory in Epworth. (Buy this photo E1366TS) Picture: Tony Saxton

A special tree planting ceremony took place at Epworth’s Old Rectory as part of a scheme to restore the building and its grounds to the way they would have looked more than 300 years ago.

The Grade 1 listed building is famous throughout the world as the childhood home of John and Charles Wesley, who founded a movement that went on to become the world-wide Methodist Church.

Project leaders planted a Mulberry tree in the grounds at the croft field adjacent to the Old Rectory.

Reverend Claire Potter, curator of the building, said: “The significance of the purchase of the tree is that it has been funded by the Friends of Epworth Old Rectory and is part of the plan to grow the type of plants and trees which would have been in the garden and surrounding grounds at the time of the Wesley family.”

The Welcome Home project will see the Rectory restored to its 1716 form.

Project leaders hope it will be completed in several phases in the coming years. This includes putting the original hearth ordering back in, external building work and improving access.

There is also set to be a new visitor centre and car park extension. The total cost of these improvements is about £2 million. Funding has come from various sources but public donations are welcome. Visit www.epwortholdrectory.org.uk.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page