School closed as snow arrives in Doncaster
SNOW began to hit Doncaster this morning as forecasters warned of major falls across the north of England, with school closures across South Yorkshire.
One Doncaster school is already closed because of the weather conditions, with pupils at Denaby Main Primary School told to stay away because of the weather.
Preparations were ongoing in Doncaster town centre today, with gritting trucks out, and council workmen spreading salt on town centre pavements.
Denaby Main Primary School, at School Walk, Denaby Main, was confirmed as closed this morning, with several teachers unable to get in, and pupils who usually attend its breakfast club also unable to make it early in the day.
One member of staff at the school this morning described the snow outside the building as “quite deep”.
South Yorkshire Police are warning people to check weather forecasts and only drive if necessary.
Officials at Doncaster racecourse inspected the course at 9am and said they believed the course was raceable. Another inspection is now planned at 11am. Course managing director Mark Spincer said he was optimistic.
Robin Hood Airport this morning said it was operating as normal.
Forecasters are expecting snow to continue into the weekend.
- Damning reports slams Lindholme Prison as one of worst in country
- Doncaster firm lands Sheffield tram contract
- Court: Coffee thief gets community order
- Doncaster Rovers: Rochdale clash set for Capital One Cup first round
- Transfer rumours June 14: Doncaster Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Barnsley, Rotherham United, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for South Yorkshire
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 11 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West