Isle people who aim to light a candle with members of the Royal British Legion, to mark the 100th anniversary of the start of World War I tonight from 10-11pm, are urged to take care.
As candles pose a real risk of fire, Humberside Fire and Rescue Service is giving advice on how to take part in the act of remembrance safely.
Steve Duffield, Community Safety Manager for Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Candles have a long association with acts of remembrance and we would like to remind people who choose to take part in this event to do so in the safest possible way.
He continued: “Candles, if not used correctly and safely, can create dangerous and difficult situations. Our aim isn’t to discourage people from taking part in this act of reflection, rather to encourage them to do so safely.”
The Service is also reminding businesses to ensure fire risks are managed effectively during this event. Rob Grayson, Technical Fire Safety Manager, said: “During this occasion of remembrance, there may be organised events at public locations such as British Legion buildings and sports clubs. We would like to remind people to ensure that fire risk assessments are up to date and that safety during the event is continually managed”.
To ensure you use candles safely, follow these tips:
* Never leave candles unattended and always put them out when you leave the room
* Always place candles on a stable surface and in a heat resistant holder
* Place candles out of the reach of children and pets
* Place candles away from flammable objects (like curtains)
* Don’t place candles directly on to furniture or around the bath, always place them in a suitable holder
Residents are reminded to fit smoke alarms on each level of their home and test them regularly. Should a fire break out, a working smoke alarm can give valuable time to escape.
For further safety advice visit www.humbersidefire.gov.uk