Olympic torch to pass through Doncaster
DONCASTER Central MP Rosie Winterton has hailed the news that the Olympic torch will pass through the borough.
Locog, organisers of the 2012 London Games has revealed the list of towns and villages the torch will visit during its 70-day tour of the UK.
On day 39, which will be June 26 next year, torchbearers will travel between Sheffield and Cleethorpes. During the route the torch will travel through Conisbrough, Warmsworth, Doncaster, Armthorpe, Dunsville and Hatfield.
While the communities and landmarks the torch will visit have been set out, the street-by-street detail of the route will not be confirmed until later in 2012.
Speaking about today’s decision Miss Winterton said: “This is fantastic news for everyone in Doncaster. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance for our communities to share in the Olympic spirit and mark the countdown to the start of the games. It will be a real boost for the borough.”
A decision on who the torchbearers will be will be made at a later date.
- Damning reports slams Lindholme Prison as one of worst in country
- Doncaster firm lands Sheffield tram contract
- Court: Coffee thief gets community order
- Doncaster Rovers: Rochdale clash set for Capital One Cup first round
- Transfer rumours June 14: Doncaster Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Barnsley, Rotherham United, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for South Yorkshire
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 12 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: West