Heater starts Doncaster house fire
fire chiefs have issued a warning about electric heaters after one started a fire at a house in Balby, Doncaster, today.
It is understood the heater on the landing of a property in Meredith Crescent was left switched on for eight hours while the occupant was out last night.
When he returned at 1am he discovered it had overheated, melted the plastic legs and toppled over, causing heat damage and smouldering to the carpet and floor.
There was also quite a lot of smoke in the house and no smoke detectors were fitted, said a fire service spokesman.
“We would like to warn householders that this sort of heater is not really meant to be left on all day and this was an older model so it caused this problem.”
The firefighters had to remove a number of floorboards to stop further damnage to the landing.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for South Yorkshire
Saturday 18 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 9 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North