Teething pooch Zeus bit a bit more than he could chew when he punctured a can
of deodorant - and is thought to have made the windows of a house go woof.
The six month old saluki whippet perforated a can of Lynx, which leaked gas onto a sofa. The can exploded, shattering the double-glazed windows and set fire to the settee.
No-one was injured in the freak accident which happened on Saturday night at the terrace house on Frederick street, Goldthorpe.
Occupiers Kerry Leech, 20 and her partner Mathew Heckler, said they were lucky not to have been in when thei r home went bang on Saturday night.
The couples’ three dogs and three cats were in the house but escaped unscathed.
Kerry, 20 said: “We were out in the car when we received texts saying our house had blown up, then we were told the living room window had blown out. I was panicking about our pets and we rushed back. We saw flashing lights, two fire engines were outside the house and the street was blocked off.
“We thought someone had put something through the letterbox or there had been a gas explosion.”
Zeus, Sonic a two-year-old whippet and Vinnie a 15-month old saluki collie greyhound were found safe at neighbours houses.
Mathew said: “All I could think about was our pets - thank god they were ok.”
Firefighters told him the explosion had most likely been caused by gas leaking from the punctured can of Lynx which had been a Christmas present from Kerry’s parents.
The gas may have been ignited by a back boiler setting off.
The explosion badly damaged the sofa and left a black mark on the living room floor of the house which the couple and Mathew’s sister Nikki Heckler have been renting for the past six months.
Kerry, 20 insisted Zeus wasn’t in the dog house.
She said: “He’s just a pup and at the moment he’ll chew anything.”