Fifteen Doncaster Rovers and Nottingham Forest fans sentenced after mass brawl

editorial image

editorial image


Fifteen Doncaster Rovers and Nottingham Forest football fans have been sentenced after appearing at Nottingham Crown Court.

The fifteen men were sentenced for their part in football related violent disorder at Newark Northgate railway station, which left a man with serious facial injuries.

They all had pleading guilty at earlier hearings and were sentenced to the following:

Doncaster Rovers

The following were sentenced to four months imprisonment (suspended for 18 months), 140 hours unpaid community work, ordered to pay £400 costs and handed 3 year football banning orders

Jordan Whitnall, 19, of Queen Street, Thorne

Graham, Howarth, 43, of Springcroft Drive, Scawthorpe

Nigel Barnes, 42, of Clevedon Crescent, Scawthorpe

Ashley Allen, 20, of Pagnell Avenue, Thurnscoe – conditional discharge for 18 months and a 3 year football banning order

The following were all handed 140 hours of unpaid community work each, 3 year football banning orders and ordered to pay costs of £200

Mark Redfearn, 42, of Elm Place, Armthorpe

Gary Flately, 45, of Westmorland Street, Balby

Andrew Toyne, 23 of Ashton Drive, Kirk Sandall

Nottingham Forest Supporters

Affray and grievous bodily harm

Steven Marsden, 54, of Bakewell Close, New Balderton, Newark - 12 months imprisonment and a 6 year football banning order.


The following were sentenced to 12 months imprisonment and handed 6 year football banning orders

Jamie Johnson, 31, of Warburton Street, Newark

Christopher Cox, 48, of Brownlows Hill, Coddington, Newark

Danny Smalley, 25, of Yorke Drive, Newark

Luca Tricarico, 23, of Stainfield Lane, Farington, Leyland – 6 month prison term suspended for 18 months, 180 hours unpaid community work, £400 costs and a 3 year football banning order.

Ian Watson, 39, of Tennyson Road, Balderton, Newark – 140 hours community order, £400 costs and a 3 year football banning order

Steven Jaye, 25, of Mill Gate, Newark – 3 month prison term suspended for 18 months, 140 hours unpaid community work, £400 costs and a 3 year football banning order.

Benjamin Weir, 22, of Winthorpe Road, Newark - 3 month prison term suspended for 18 months, 140 hours unpaid community work, £400 costs and a 3 year football banning order.

The court heard how on Saturday, 27 April 2013, Nottingham Forest fans were returning from an away fixture at Millwall. On the same day Doncaster Rovers were playing a league match at Brentford which saw them promoted to the Championship.

One of the defendants, Johnson, a Nottingham Forest supporter, had become involved in a verbal altercation with a Doncaster supporter prior to the train’s departure from Kings Cross. After being threatened on the train he phoned a friend in Newark claiming he was fearing for his safety on the train.

A number of Forest and Rovers fans were also travelling on the train and had been having jovial banter between the two groups at this point.

Six Forest supporters turned up on the platform at Newark station to meet Johnson and the train. As it pulled into the station they began banging on the train window. The Nottingham Forest fans on the train then merged with the men on the platform, verbal exchanges then ensued with the Rovers fans before disorder broke out in the vestibule area on the train. This then spilled onto the platform and into the train carriage, causing a number of passengers and rail staff on the train and at the station to fear for their safety

Punches, kicks and glass bottles were thrown whist both groups exchanged abusive threats.

During the disorder one of the defendants Allen was stabbed in the face with a broken bottle which left him with significant facial injuries.

A member of rail staff was also assaulted and threatened to be pushed under the train while attempting to dispatch the service.

British Transport Police Detective Inspector Glen Alderson said: “This was a terrifying ordeal for the passengers and staff who were at the station and on the train at the time of the incident. They were left fearing for their safety and understandably shaken and traumatised by the incident.

“Glass bottles were thrown and one of the defendants involved in the fighting was stabbed in the face with a broken bottle.

“We quickly launched an investigation and detectives worked hard to gather evidence against each of the fifteen defendants.

He added, “We simply do not tolerate this type of violent and barbaric behaviour. We’ve had great success in dealing with football related disorder, and serious incidents such as this are thankfully very rare on the railway network. By working closely with clubs, the rail industry, and football authorities, we’re making inroads into tackling the type crime that can ruin match days for law-abiding fans and members of the public.

“I hope that being banned from the club, along with the sentences handed down today serves as a stark reminder that football related disorder on the rail network is utterly unacceptable and will seek the maximum penalties for anyone involved.”




Back to the top of the page


X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news