DCSIMG

Cigarette starts Doncaster bungalow fire

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.

A pensioner had a lucky escape after fire broke out at her Doncaster home this morning.

Fire crews from Doncaster and Edlington station were called to a bungalow in Levet Road, Cantley, just after 9.30am when an automatic fire alarm went off and sent a message through to a central control room.

They found a woman in her 90s still in the bungalow and escorted her to safety while other firefighters put out a burning cushion on a sofa.

The cushion had been ignited by a burning cigarette, said a spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue.

The occupant of the bungalow had suffered a slight burn to her hand but it was not serious enough to warrant her being taken to hospital.

There was only a small amount of damage to the seating.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page