Charity backs Dearne fire safety campaign

Floral tributes left for Libby-Jayne Hornsby, who died in a house fire. Picture: Andrew Roe

Floral tributes left for Libby-Jayne Hornsby, who died in a house fire. Picture: Andrew Roe

A national charity has backed the South Yorkshire Times’ campaign to get smoke alarms fitted in privately rented homes following the death of a two-year-old girl in a house fire.

Our ‘Do it for Libby’ campaign is calling for a change in the law to require landlords to fit smoke alarms in privately rented homes after Libby-Jayne Hornsby died in a blaze in Conisbrough.

Libby’s family, a coroner and senior fire chiefs have publicly support our campaign and now Electrical Safety First, a charity dedicated to reducing deaths caused by electrical faults, has added its weight behind our cause.

Charity spokeswoman Emma Apter said: “We fully support the ‘Do it for Libby’ campaign as we have seen from our own research that landlords are putting millions of people at risk by either ignoring or not understanding their responsibilities. It’s very simple – installing working smoke alarms can save lives. We would recommend landlords carry out a full inspection of the propriety’s electrical installations at least every five years.”

There is currently no law that requires landlords to fit alarms in private-rented homes similar to the one in which Libby-Jayne died in on Don Street last October. The rented property where Libby died did not have a working smoke alarm fitted. The fire was started by another child playing with a lighter.

A bill passed in the House of Lords last year will give Government the power to introduce the law change. Lawmakers are currently reviewing responses to a public consultation on the issue and are due to publish their findings.


Back to the top of the page


X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news