DCSIMG

Cabinet backs mayor on axe for 300 council jobs

editorial image

editorial image

DONCASTER Council’s cabinet has backed proposals to axe more than 300 jobs at the authority as part of huge budget cuts.

The authority had previously estimated more than 500 posts could be lost as it struggles to battle against Government imposed cuts totalling £26 million.

Now, in a report agreed by the council’s cabinet yesterday, the figure has been revealed to be equivalent to the reduction of 313 full-time posts – with the axe set to fall before April.

In January, Mayor Peter Davies revealed the grim scenario after the council drew up a raft of money-saving measures, announcing cuts to a string of services.

However, he said council tax would be frozen and he would protect frontline services against a backdrop of cuts handed down by the coalition Government.

At yesterday’s meeting at the new Civic Building, the cabinet was presented with a report by the council’s overview and scrutiny management committee whose chairman Coun John Mounsey said: “It is very clear that Doncaster Council will continue to face big financial challenges. There are difficult choices to be made for everyone and changes to the way in which services are delivered.

“It is vital everyone in the council gets their head around the situation and we should seek to explore every single opportunity to give people of Doncaster the best value.”

The final approval of the budget – and setting of the council tax – will be undertaken at a meeting of the full council on Thursday, February 21.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page