All 200 drivers at Tesco depot to lose jobs
MORE than 200 supermarket delivery drivers have been told they will be out of a job by Christmas.
Drivers at the depot in Middle Bank, at Doncaster Carr, had been warned to expect the cuts after their contracts were transferred over to haulage giant Eddie Stobart last month.
But last night all drivers at the depot were told in 90 days they would be made redundant.
One close friend of a driver, who asked not to be named, said: “They are all absolutely gutted.
“All these guys know how to do is drive and there aren’t that many jobs out there at the minute.
“They are getting some redundancy money, but that’s nothing when you think some of them have worked there for more than 20 years and know nothing else.”
The Free Press understands Union Unite, which represents the drivers, will hold an emergency meeting on Saturday, to discuss the plans.
The Union had already sent out ballot papers to take industrial action over job threats before the latest announcement had been made.
- Damning reports slams Lindholme Prison as one of worst in country
- Court: Coffee thief gets community order
- Doncaster Rovers: Rochdale clash set for Capital One Cup first round
- Transfer rumours June 14: Doncaster Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Barnsley, Rotherham United, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City
- Biggest ‘shake-up’ on the buses for 20 years
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for South Yorkshire
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 23 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 11 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: East