A SCHOOLGIRL has been scarred for life after suffering third-degree burns from her hair straighteners.
Katy Cowlishaw, aged 16, collapsed in her bedroom while getting ready for school at her home on Pear Tree Road, Shiregreen, Sheffield, and was found unconscious by her dad Stephen Turton.
The teenager, who her parents believe suffered an epileptic fit, was rushed by ambulance to Sheffield Children’s Hospital.
Doctors discovered Katy had sustained serious burns on the inside of her right leg after falling onto the hot straighteners.
Katy had to undergo a skin graft, spent a week recovering in hospital, and has been told the burns will leave a permanent scar.
Stephen, 37, told The Star he is worried a similar incident could happen again – as his daughter is determined to carry on using the hair straighteners.
“She hates going out in the day with her hair a mess,” he said.
“But if it happens again it could be worse.”
Katy, a Year 11 pupil at Hinde House School in Wincobank, uses her straighteners at least twice a day.
Stephen said she was getting ready for school at around 8.50am when he heard a bang from her room.
“She was laid unconscious on the floor – I was gobsmacked and panicked a bit,” he said.
“I picked the phone up and dialled 999, and put her in the recovery position.”
Stephen added he now wants to uncover the cause of Katy’s mysterious collapse.
He said she had a similar collapse last year.
“Even if it’s not a fit or blacking out, I want to know what’s causing it,” he said.
“She wants to know what’s wrong with her too.”
Stephen said his family has a history of epilepsy as his sister Sharron Jones, 59, suffers the condition.