FIRE crews attended a blaze at Tata Engineering Steels’ Aldwarke site, early this morning.
A fire started in a waste storage unit at the works, in a 50 litre drum containing a calcium alloy.
A fire spokesman said: “The crew had to spend some time determining exactly what was in the drum and how it could be treated. They were on site for about two hours and eventually put out the fire using dry sand.”
The cause of the fire was attributed to water leaking through to the drum from the roof, and reacting with the contained substance to spark a flare-up.