Thurnscoe hero to be presented with police award

Glen Howell, with his wife Lisa, both of Thurnscoe, is set to receive a bravery award from the police after he saved two men from a burning flat. Picture: Andrew Roe
Glen Howell, with his wife Lisa, both of Thurnscoe, is set to receive a bravery award from the police after he saved two men from a burning flat. Picture: Andrew Roe

HAVE-A-GO-HERO Glen Howell is to receive a top police award after he saved two men from a burning flats complex near his home.

The 39-year-old, of Peartree Avenue, Thurnscoe, was returning home from a night out with wife Lisa when he noticed smoke bellowing out of a flat.

Glen Howell, of Thurnscoe, is set to receive a bravery award from the police after he saved two men from this burning flat. Picture: Andrew Roe

Glen Howell, of Thurnscoe, is set to receive a bravery award from the police after he saved two men from this burning flat. Picture: Andrew Roe

He immediately took action and rushed in to save a 33-year-old disabled man just moments before the inferno blew out the windows.

But his incredible act of bravery did not end there, as he went back in to a neighbouring property and helped another man, aged in his 50s, get out to safety.

Mr Howell, a civil engineer and father-of-three, is to be rewarded for his courage with a Commander’s Commendation from South Yorkshire Police.

He said: “It is nice to receive the award, but I would like to think anyone in my position would have done the same.

“The heat from the fire was incredible and I could hardly see because of the thick black smoke.

“I went in and noticed the guy had two false legs. The fire was in the main room and he was on the kitchen on the floor.

“I picked him up and we rushed out. Only seconds after we got out the windows blew.”

The dramatic blow out did not deter him, as he rushed back in to save a second man.

“He had been asleep and did not know the fire had started in the flat next door so I helped him get out. He may never have woken up and the fire could have spread easily.”

The two men were treated by paramedics at the scene on the evening of Saturday, September 22. The fire service put the blaze out. It is believed it was started accidentally, possibly a discarded cigarette, in a bin in the living room.

Andy Brooke, Chief Superintendent of Barnsley Police, said: “When I heard about the courageous actions of Mr Howell I wanted to formally recognise him and am proud to award this Commanders Commendation in recognition of his selfless action and bravery. We need more people like him.”