A charity fundraiser has spoken of her joy that a government scheme to compensate victims of the asbestos disease mesothelioma is to increase planned payments from 75 per cent to 80.
Amanda Miller lost her 68-year-old dad Dennis Digby to the ‘silent killer’ last year and welcomed the Department for Work and Pensions’ decision to raise compensation payouts.
In the UK, 2,600 people a year are diagnosed with mesothelioma and around 300 to 400 people a year are unable to get compensation because companies where they used to work have either gone bust or their insurers cannot be traced.
She said: “Any increase in compensation for people with mesothelioma is very much appreciated.
“I hope the Government gets moving to make sure people who suffered like my father get their money quickly.”
Amanda, along with friends Fran Milner and Rachel Thackray, has previously organised two charity balls to raise public awareness of the disease and to raise much needed funds for Mesothelioma UK.
A third ball is to take place on April 5 at Drax Sports and Social Club.
Fran said: “This is great news on the eve of the third Mesothelioma Ball. We hope the ball helps to raise public awareness, and we hope victims get whatever compensation they can.”
Friend and solicitor Howard Bonnett added: “This increase in monies is a welcome sign that the Government has listened to those who help asbestos disease victims.
“I hope the Government gets the scheme and the payment methods in hand as quickly as possible.”
For more details about the charity ball call 07899 761 458 or 07583 971 143.