Brass band comeback
AN ARMTHORPE brass band battled it out to win fourth place in a national championship.
The Markham Main Colliery band competed against 18 other bands to gain fourth place in the National Mineworkers Band Championships in Skegness over the weekend of January 18 .
Originally set up in 1924, The Markham Main Colliery Band only returned to competing 12 months ago after a resurgence in members two years ago.
Secretary John Doubtfire said: “Two and a half years ago, competing in a national competition would have been just a pipe dream. So to come fourth in a national championship is amazing.”
- Damning reports slams Lindholme Prison as one of worst in country
- Doncaster firm lands Sheffield tram contract
- Court: Coffee thief gets community order
- Doncaster Rovers: Rochdale clash set for Capital One Cup first round
- Transfer rumours June 14: Doncaster Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Barnsley, Rotherham United, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for South Yorkshire
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 11 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West