100 people evacuated after flat fire

Fire Engine on call
Fire Engine on call

ABOUT 100 people were evacuated after smoke was spotted pouring from a 13-storey block of flats in Doncaster.

Crews arrived within four minutes at the Shaftesbury House flats in Cardigan Road in Intake to find thick black smoke coming out of the top of the flats.

The blaze, at about 7pm yesterday, was confined to a ground floor bin store.

Many residents had already left the building before the arrival of fire crews, and firefighters ensured the 12th and 13th floors were fully evacuated as a precaution. But the fire was eventually found to be within two large bins in the ground floor bin store, with the smoke rising through the bin chutes and out at the top.

The fire was put out and, folllowing an investigation, firefighters said they believe it had been started deliberately. Nobody was injured in the incident, and there was no damage other than the burnt refuse.

By around 8.30pm, residents were allowed back into their flats, and crews left the scene.