THE unlikely setting of Harwich, Essex, is the source of this week’s Memory Lane pictures – thanks to Times reader Douglas Brown.
He has written all the way from East Anglia to “restore the east-west balance”... with what he terms a set of pictures from “east of Adwick Road”.
In fact Mr Brown’s snaps are all of Conisbrough, and date back to the mid-1950s.
The three photographs show the town’s Wellgate area, taken on August 28, 1954.
These days, the well is surrounded by iron railings – and a housing development.
Another shot shows a scene which has changed little over the years....the junction of the main A630 at Hilltop.
Although the fingerpost to Firsby no longer exists, the Hilltop Hotel is still there, though looking a little different these days. The stone wall in the foreground also seems to have disappeared, with the widening of the Old Road junction (on the left). This picture was taken in July/August 1950.
The remaining image, also taken on August 28, 1954, shows the Scout Hut at Wellgate, Conisbrough, in those halcyon days.
Our thanks go to Douglas for the photos. If you have any pictures to loan us please call into our offices, at 27-29 High Street, Mexborough, or call 01709 303054.